Saturday, November 7, 2009

Logan -- Braces Off !!!!






The week of October 20th was a great week for Logan. He turned 15 years old on October 25th and earlier in the week he had his braces taken off.
The braces had been on for 2 1/2 years. Logan did great with his braces, he took really good care of them, brushed daily and went to all of his orthodontic appointments. Logan's orthodontist is Dr. Michael Stevens D.D.S., PC. He did a great job with Logan's teeth. He was one of 3 orthodontist that Logan saw and I'm so thankful we made the decision to go with him. Logan's teeth never really looked that crooked, his problem was that he had an extreme overbite. There is a dental term for this, however, I don't remember what it is. Basically, his whole lower jaw needed to be brought forward because when he would bite down, his lower teeth would go up the back of his front teeth. This would cause damage in later years. The first orthodontist wanted to put Logan in the "herbst appliance". I researched this and took Logan for two other opinions. On both accounts, I was told this would not be necessary. Dr. Stevens was able to pull the jaw forward and straighten the teeth with just positioning the braces a certain way and tightening and tweaking here and there. He said the herbst appliance and/or headgear would not be needed which was great.
Logan was fitted for a retainer for the top of his mouth and they put a permanent retainer in the bottom of his mouth. He hates the retainer, however, is being good about wearing it as much as he can. He'll have to wear the retainer for at least a few nights a week for the rest of his life. This is actually what most people who have had braces are suppose to do. I talked to Kristen about it, she said she still wears hers at night. She said she can tell if she doesn't wear it for awhile her teeth will start to move. Pretty crazy stuff! I'm glad we're done with it for the most part. Logan has such a big beautiful smile.
His next dental hurdle will be to have his wisdom teeth pulled. Which brings up an interesting question... why do they call them wisdom teeth?

No comments: